Friday, June 17, 2011

Cake That!

One of the hobbies that I failed to mention in my initial blog entry is that I love to bake & decorate cakes. I learned how to do the basics while working a short stint in the local Walmart bakery. I caught on quickly and, after leaving Walmart, bought many books and learned more just by doing. That was about 14 years ago. Now, as a way to earn a little extra money here and there, I make cakes for friends & family and have done so for the past two years.

One of my favorite cakes is a pirate cake I did for a friend's son.


I've done lots of cake for lots of different occasions. Another personal favorite was the cake I made for my cousin's wedding. I made both the wedding cake and the groom's cake. While both were lovely, the groom's cake came out really cool and it was my very own original idea. I called it the "Chocolate Fortress."



Of course, I do all of the birthday cakes for my own kids as well and I think I'm the queen of the themed birthday party. lol And with four children, we've been through lots of themes. Here are just a couple of the cakes from the past few years.

Anna's kitty cat party:


Ella's Mickey Mouse party:


I try to avoid doing fondant covered cakes because I intensely dislike working with fondant and I like eating it even less. But once in a while, I'll get someone who insists they want fondant. So they gave me a napkin and, Voila! I matched a bridal shower theme with the cake below.


Just recently, a young girl at our church was married. I was asked to do the wedding cake. Wedding cakes always make me just a bit nervous because, let's face it, that is the most important cake of your life! No other cake will ever matter more. So I always approach my wedding cake projects with a certain trepidation. Here are a few that I've done. And so far, no wedding cake disasters!





1 comment:

  1. Your cakes are SO amazing! They make me hungry just looking at them!

    ReplyDelete